Copyright © 2007-2018 gilbertandfriends.com
all rights reserved.
Greek Word Studies
(8th in a series)
On some Greek words, like repentance and faith, we have done studies to completion. In other words, we have fully investigated every place those words were found and read the full Panin's context to see the full picture.
Here, for your sake, we will investigate only a few instances to show some very interesting observations regarding lust and desire.
1) Galatians 5:17 (Panin's context is 16-25) verse 17 says: "For the flesh lusts against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh."
Wow! Did you see that - both the Spirit and flesh have strong desires or lusts, and 2 things become obvious:
1. The Desires of the Spirit are Very Good!
2. The Desires of the flesh are Very Bad!
2) 1 Timothy 3:1 (Panin's context is 1-13) verse 1 says: "If one seeks an overseership, he desires a good work."
We see from this that people can have good lusts or desires - So what makes the difference? Why are some desires evil and some good?
Wait till you see what we found!
3) Luke 22:15 (Panin's context is 14-23) verse 15 says: "And He (Jesus) said unto them, with desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer."
Here Jesus has this very good desire or lust to eat the passover with His disciples.
4) James 4:2 (Panin's context is 1-10) verse 1 & 2 says: "Whence come wars and fighting among you? Come they not hence of your pleasures that war in your members, you lust or desire and have not: you kill and are jealous and cannot obtain, you fight and war, you have not because you ask not."
In these 2 verses it lists 5 things that come from man's nature that are very bad lusts and they are:
1. wars - among brothers
3. envy or lust
In Galatians 5:20-21 are the Very Good things the Holy Spirit strongly desires or lusts for and they are:
4. Patience * Whoa there Big Fella!
9. Self Control
*Patience is in the Thuo Family and is macro + Thuo - to suffer long - Another Family Tree Branch.
In closing, Jesus has very good desires, the Holy Spirit has very good desires, but Man's Nature has very bad desires.
Keep Going - You've got to see the 4 Greek words for Love next.
(It will explain all this)
(See Menu on the Left!)
Looking into The True Meaning of Life!